The Florida Division of Workers’ Compensation has issued a notice explaining the changes to the workers’ compensation exemption process that the Legislature recently passed and the Governor signed into law. The changes will streamline the filing and processing of exemption applications and will be effective July 1st, 2012. The highlights of the changes are as follow:
- Beginning July 1st, 2012, the exemption application and renewal processes will be completely on-line.
- The application will no longer have to be notarized.
- Applicants will no longer have to provide stock certificates or other documents proving they own at least 10% of a company.
Other changes to the exemption process are:
- Starting January 1st, 2013, ALL exemptions will have to be renewed every 2 years (currently non-construction exemptions do not expire). Note: this 2-year expiration only applies to new exemptions issued on and after January 1st, 2013.
- Effective July 1st, 2013, non-construction LLC owners will be treated like corporate officers and will be able to file for an exemption.